Why you'd want to live in Miller Place
A desirable North Shore Hamlet known for its schools, community and desirable neighborhoods. Miller Place is a hamlet and census-designated place (CDP) in Suffolk County, New York, United States, on the North Shore of Long Island. Miller Place has been inhabited since the 17th century and is named for the Miller family that included many of its initial settlers. For most of its history, the community functioned as an agriculture-based society. Despite preserving much of its historic identity, changes in the 20th century have transitioned the hamlet into a desirable and densely populated suburban area. The population was 12,339 at the 2010 census. The land that Miller Place occupies was purchased from the native Setalcott tribe in 1664 by settlers of Setauket. The first known dwelling in the area was constructed in the 1660s by Captain John Scott, an important figure in Long Island's early history who served as a royal advisor and cartographer among other occupations. While the original settler of Miller Place is unknown, the settling of the region is largely accredited to the original Miller family. In 1679, an East Hampton settler named Andrew Miller, a wood-worker, purchased a 30-acre (120,000) plot. By the early 1700s, the community had become known as Miller's Place. The Miller family expanded well into the 18th century and continually developed houses in the northern part of the hamlet. Many roads in the present hamlet have been named after historical families. The American Revolutionary War divided the town. The majority of Miller Place sided with the Patriot cause but families were still split across both lines. In the decades following World War II, the population of Miller Place greatly expanded. The majority of beach cottages were re-purposed as family homes and the town became home to many residents who commute daily to New York City.